23 November 2009

Interfaith Thanksgiving Service

Dear Sisters,

I just wanted to share with you a report of the Interfaith Thanksgiving Service (from my perspective). If you attended and want to add anything, please comment below.

The service was lovely. There was a spirit of unity in gratitude and for a good cause....coming together for the Northborough food pantry. Neal Robison has been representing our ward for years on the local interfaith council, and one minister I spoke with, Judith Wright from First Parish Unitarian Church, expressed their love for Neal. He has represented our ward and faith well. Clergy from around our area spoke and we sang hymns together. It was wonderful to see so many families from our ward attend. I think we brought all of the children in attendance:)

After the service there was a mingle/refreshments downstairs. This is where I met Judith Wright as well as an intern clergy for a local parish (her name slips my mind). I told Judith how kind it was for the interfaith council to change the time from 4pm to 4:30 to accommodate our congregation. This led to an explanation of what we do at church for 3 hours. Judith asked if she could come visit and I welcomed her.

I tracked down the woman who coordinated the food for the mingle and thanked her. I told her that since we have quite a few from our congregation interested in attending this annual gathering, we'd love to contribute next time. This led to a conversation of interfaith hot dinners served each Wednesday evening and the possible opportunity for members of our ward to participate on some level.

This morning as I shared this experience with my sister, she said, "Look what gratitude has done." Gratitude brings love into a conversation; it creates a bridge from one unique soul to another. Gratitude is a sturdy building block for collective service for the common good.

I couldn't help but think that because of Neal's efforts, we had the opportunity to participate yesterday and represent our faith. All of these years of fellowship will make coming together in the future, whether for a cause or in time of need, that much easier and effective.

With gratitude,

Rebecca Menzie

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11/30/2009

    I too would like to help with those dinners.
    As I am achievement leader, the first and third Wed would not work, but I have two others which would.
    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete